Saturday, March 5, 2011

Charles Is One Month Old!

Well, we made it a month... crazy right? Charlie has definitely changed our lives in some pretty dramatic ways. Never in my life have I loved someone so much. I think God makes you fall in love instantly because He knows those sleepless nights would be unbearable otherwise. ;) Of course, lack of sleep is still my number one issue, but since he's nursing well, peeing and pooping like a champ, and developing right according to plan, I can't complain. Well, I do complain, but only when I'm really tired. ;) I really identified with what this mom wrote on Baby Center:
Before I had a baby, I had always thought of myself as a capable person. I could change my car battery, program my VCR, and navigate my way around all five boroughs of New York City without getting lost or mugged. But after my daughter Nina was born, my can-do attitude went out the window. Normally confident, I couldn't imagine how I would care for a new baby and what I was supposed to do with her all day long. I dreaded seeing the door close as my husband hurried to catch the train to work every morning. I wondered if flinging myself at his feet would stop him from leaving me alone for 10 hours with my lovely but oh-so-dependent baby. I loved Nina and we had our blissful moments together, but I was frightened by the responsibility and daunted by the drudgery of caring for her all the time, and overwhelmed by the newness of it all.

No one ever tells you what daily life will be like with a newborn. If they did, they wouldn't be able to look you in the eye because the truth isn't pretty. Imagine this: All those wonderful family members and friends who helped you out right after the birth have now returned to their own lives. You're fatigued beyond belief. Breast milk drips all over your clothes, but you can barely remember to bathe. Basic tasks like eating or deciding what to wear seem to take too much effort. Armed with little or no previous experience, you're now responsible for the care, nourishment, safety, and stimulation of a new baby. No wonder new moms feel overwhelmed. But know this: You will not be the first mom to feel this way, and you will figure things out. While that may be cold comfort during the early days, it's a start.
So for any other new moms out there - you can do it! We are doing it every day. Our little ones are growing and thriving because of us and we should be proud of that!

To document this one-month milestone, here are a few million photos I snapped of Charles this evening. I think his aging is appropriately reflected in his receding hairline. :)













And my personal favorite, where Charlie does his best to tell you he's ONE month old! :)


Breakfast - cinnamon raisin English muffin with butter; OJ
Lunch - black bean soup
Snack - natural peanut butter on a deli flat
Dinner - Amy's vegan "steak and potatoes" dinner with green beans (tasted better than it sounds) :)
Dessert - orange

No comments: