Thursday, March 10, 2011

First Time Moms

I got a kick out of reading this article from a mom of two. Apparently us first-time moms have it easy. ;) I do wonder what life would be like if I was sleep-deprived and had to chase a toddler around. Finding time to play with Molly and Maggie is tough enough!

Speaking of the trendiest baby gear, I did want to take a moment to rec some of the items John and I have found to be most helpful this past month with Charles. While I do have some fancy stuff (my diaper bag and all-terrain stroller for example) most of the items are pretty low-key. In no particular order - here are my top 5 must-haves. **EDIT - I added a sixth item that I totally forgot about!**

Swaddle blankets and the SwaddleMe
Charlie is definitely one of those babies experiencing "the fourth trimester." This boy only sleeps if swaddled. He moves around so much that there's no way he could stay asleep without it. During the day I wrap him in blankets to swaddle, but at night, we use the SwaddleMe so there's no risk of the blanket coming undone. From what I've read, we should expect to transition out of the swaddle by three months. At that time, most of the startle reflex is gone and babies are able to sleep without it. We shall see...

Cotton sleepers


Sure those designer baby outfits are super cute. But very few infants care what they are wearing... so long as they are comfortable. Charlie spends 95% of his time in cottom sleepers and we go through about 3 of them a day. At night, we mix it up and wear a fleece sleeper instead. We like to keep it fresh and exciting. ;) Carter's has a great line of sleepers, available with either zippers or snaps. John doesn't care for the snaps, which admittedly, are challenging for someone with larger hands. The zipper ones are harder to come by though.

Burp Cloths and Bibs

Again, I'm not talking designer here. The best burp cloths are actually cloth diapers. We got an awesome stash from Alice, but you can buy them too. They are very absorbant and we go through about 6-10 a day (depending on the spit up situation). I've started putting a bib on Charlie at every feeding too which helps catch extra spit up. Bibs are pretty much all the same but we do have a few favorites. Carter's bibs are great because they have a middle layer that's waterproof. I also like Tommee Tippee's newborn bibs which fit nicely around his little neck.

Cloth Diapers and Wipes

There were several reasons we opted to cloth diaper. Ultimately, it's best for the environment, best for his skin, and best for our budget. It thrills me that we haven't had to run out to the store to buy diapers every other week. I also started using cloth wipes this week which is waaayy easier than I expected. I actually created a solution from California Baby's Diaper Area Wash. I mix one part of that to ten parts water and keep the solution in the peri bottle from the hospital - perfect! Not having to buy formula or diapers is definitely a good thing since I'm not working for several months. As CFO of our family, I am responsible for making sure we can pay all those bills! :)

Graco Pack 'n Play
I've already posted about the convenience of the Graco Pack 'n Play. Since Charlie and I spend most of our day in the family room, it's great to have a place to store diapers and extra clothes. The changing station is great, as is the newborn napper. When he outgrows the napper, we hope he'll be taking his naps in the bassinet portion.

Video Monitor
Our new favorite channel is C-TV. John and I love being able to watch Charlie as he falls asleep. He makes lots of noises as he's falling asleep (and waking up) and being able to see him lets us know if he's really awake or if he's just settling in. It also has a feature that allows it to move and pan the room - which will come in handy as our little guy grows and starts walking (gasp!)

So that's it... I'm guessing these items will change as Charles gets older, but for now, we're keeping it simple. Oh, and it appears that the growth spurt may be just about over since Charlie has gone 2.5-3 hours between feedings today. Last night he woke up at 1:00, 3:30 and 5:30. Ouch! I gotta feeling that tonight will be better. Plus, it's Jersday and our crew is coming over for Jersey Shore. I couldn't hang last time, but if I can get some sleep in today then I should be able to. The last time I watched the show with them was the night before my water broke!

Breakfast - two organic eggs with a slice of American cheese and ketchup on whole grain toast; OJ
Snack - all natural pita chips and hummus
Lunch - cavatelli and broccoli; garden salad; slice of cheese pizza
Snack - homemade trail mix (dried cranberries, chocolate chips, and almonds)
Dinner - TBD

3 comments:

mama foosa said...

Glad you guys are doing well! Thanks for the recs :) How is cloth diapering going? What brands are you using?

Jessica said...

That article is hilarious! And your diaper bag is adorable :)

Vanessa said...

E&W - We use bumgenius XSs right now and will transition to BG 4.0s when he's ready for them. We love them!

Jessica - Thanks for the compliments! I bought the bag during a gilt sale so it was "only" $90, as opposed to the almost $200 regular price. :)