Sunday, December 26, 2010

34 Weeks - 6 weeks to go!

Somehow my entire first post got deleted. Grrr! Here's hoping it works this time...

Well, Christmas is over and we are on vacation! JA and I get to enjoy this week together. This morning we went to Macy's to get some new ties for him (he's obsessed!). We then stopped at Babies R Us to return a few items and purchase the Angelcare Movement Monitor. I've heard some pretty great reviews about this so I'm excited to use it with Charles. First time mom = paranoid, so anything that helps with that is a good thing! After BRU, we stopped at the grocery store to stock up before the blizzard hits. It's already snowing here and we're due to get about a foot by tomorrow night. Yippee!


Today I hit the 34 week mark... and I celebrated by sleeping until nine o'clock! Even Molly and Maggie burrowed in with us. Someone on Christmas Eve asked how I was sleeping and when I said, "Great!" she was shocked. Apparently it's not supposed to be that way at this point, but I feel like I'm always going to be the sleeping exception. If Charles has the same problem we're going to have to set the alarm so we wake up for feedings! Here's what's new with him this week:
Your baby now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. His fat layers – which he'll need to regulate his body temperature once he's born – are filling him out, making him rounder. His skin is also smoother than ever. His central nervous system is maturing and his lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.
Good to know... though I'd still like to keep Charlie cooking until 40 weeks. :)
  • How far along? 34 weeks
  • Total weight gain: +21 pounds
  • Sleep: Pretty great! I switch sides a few times a night because my hips get sore, but there are still nights I don't have to get up for the bathroom.
  • Movement: Every day, throughout the day. He's getting stronger too. While his don't don't hurt, they don't exactly tickle either. :)
  • Best moment this week: Christmas Eve with JA's family and being on vacation!
  • Food cravings: carbs (bread and pasta!)
  • Gender: It's a boy!
  • Maternity Clothes: Still making do with everything I have... and looking forward to living in yoga pants this week.
  • Belly Button in or out? Still in - I don't think it will pop.
  • What I miss: The holidays are making me miss the booze a bit, but I know it's worth it. :)
  • What I am looking forward to: A visit from Mom and Dad!!
  • Nursery Progress: I'll take you on a tour around the room.

    I installed a full length mirror behind the nursery door. Here's the 34-week belly. It's just too cold to put on the pink tank, and it's just too cruel to make it stretch over this belly. :)
    left side of the closet
    right side of the closet
     
    where the glider will go
    twin bed - plan to get some under-bed bins for extra storage
    dresser and changing area - think I'll hang the mobile above this area
    messy corner isn't finished yet :)
    crib and monogram wall decal
Breakfast - egg and cheese on a croissant; hash browns
Lunch - organic tortilla chips with vegetarian beans, cheese, salsa, guacamole, and low fat sour cream
Snack - clementine
Dinner - baked ziti; garden salad with organic romaine, cucumbers, and grape tomatoes with croutons and light honey dijon dressing

No comments: