Thursday, December 16, 2010

Nursing Class

Last night I attended a nursing class at the hospital where we'll deliver. I loved it! The nurse was so sweet, and I seriously hope she's working when we go in for Charlie's birthday. She has over 30 years experience, but is not old and crotchety. :)  She works on a committee that was instrumental in ensuring skin-to-skin contact for one to two hours before any bathing of baby (read about the benefits here, here, and here). She was so positive and nurturing and I left feeling like breastfeeding was such a wonderful way to be a great mom for Charles. She also mentioned that babies who are born to mothers who do not receive pain meds latch better and are more alert for nursing than those whose moms receive epidurals. I knew I had read this before, even though the doctors assured me this was untrue. I think it's like how you can read 10 studies on how eggs/coffee/alcohol/insert-any-other-controversial-food-here are good for you and 10 more on how they'll kill you. Ultimately, I'm still set on trying for a natural delivery, and remain open-minded for whatever medical interventions we may need.

I made a tiny bit of nursery progress after school yesterday too. I hung the alphabet prints on the wall above the bed. They look a little bare, but I think once the window treatments and colored pillows are on the bed it will make a big difference. Here's a low quality phone camera pic:

BTW, I love, love, love my laser level! :)

Wednesday
Breakfast - egg white and cheese on a croissant; decaf latte with skim milk
Lunch - basmati rice with broccoli and peas; natural apple sauce; pita chips with roasted red pepper hummus
Snack - one cake ball; organic apple
Dinner - veggie burger on a whole grain English muffin with organic ketchup and mustard; two veggie burrito bites
Snack - organic peach tea; handful of cashews and almonds
Dessert - cup of warm chocolate milk

Thursday
Breakfast - egg white and cheese on an English muffin; hot chocolate
Lunch - pita chips with roasted red pepper hummus; Cinnamon Life cereal with soy milk; natural apple sauce; gingerbread cookie
Dinner - dinner roll with butter; pomme frittes with cheese fondue; vegetables in a puff pastry; mashed potatoes (carb overload!!)

No comments: