Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop.
- How far along? 16 weeks
- Total weight gain/loss: +4 pounds (no change from last week)
- Sleep: I've been sleeping well (all through the night most nights). In these last two weeks leading up to school I'm going to get back on a bed by 11, up by 7 schedule.
- Best moment this week: Telling my neighborhood friends about the baby; I also learned my neighbor Jen is due a week before me!
- Food cravings: I've been liking sweets a little more than usual, but I'm not sure I would call it a craving.
- Gender: We have our educated guess, but we'll wait until the anatomy scan on September 21 to be more certain.
- Maternity Clothes: Not yet. Just when I think I'm ready for them, I try on some pants and they fall down.
- Belly Button in or out? In
- What I miss: iced tea (it's a staple in the summer)
- What I am looking forward to: Doctor's appointment on Wednesday - we'll get to hear the baby's heartbeat!
- Weekly Wisdom: Stop buying things for the baby!! ;)
Snack - a few pieces of Aussie-style strawberry licorice
Dinner - "chicken" patty on a sandwich thin; rest of my homefries; broccoli