Sunday, August 22, 2010

16 Weeks

Here we are - week 16! It's true what they say about the second trimester. I feel great and my energy is back (so long as I get enough sleep)! I can't believe the summer is almost over... though I am looking forward to fall. Bring on the cooler temperatures and get rid of this humidity! Baby A seems to be growing well, as my belly seems just a smidge bigger each day. I used to wake up with a pretty flat tummy in the morning and it would be round by the end of the day. Now it's pretty round when I wake up! Here's what's new this week:
Get ready for a growth spurt. In the next few weeks, your baby will double his weight and add inches to his length. Right now, he's about the size of an avocado: 4 1/2 inches long (head to rump) and 3 1/2 ounces. His legs are much more developed, his head is more erect than it has been, and his eyes have moved closer to the front of his head. His ears are close to their final position, too. The patterning of his scalp has begun, though his locks aren't recognizable yet. He's even started growing toenails. And there's a lot happening inside as well. For example, his heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day, and this amount will continue to increase as your baby continues to develop. 
  • How far along? 16 weeks
  • Total weight gain/loss: +4 pounds (no change from last week)
  • Sleep: I've been sleeping well (all through the night most nights). In these last two weeks leading up to school I'm going to get back on a bed by 11, up by 7 schedule.
  • Best moment this week: Telling my neighborhood friends about the baby; I also learned my neighbor Jen is due a week before me!
  • Food cravings: I've been liking sweets a little more than usual, but I'm not sure I would call it a craving.
  • Gender: We have our educated guess, but we'll wait until the anatomy scan on September 21 to be more certain.
  • Maternity Clothes: Not yet. Just when I think I'm ready for them, I try on some pants and they fall down.
  • Belly Button in or out? In
  • What I miss: iced tea (it's a staple in the summer)
  • What I am looking forward to: Doctor's appointment on Wednesday - we'll get to hear the baby's heartbeat!
  • Weekly Wisdom: Stop buying things for the baby!! ;)

Today was a weird eating day for me. I'm usually all about eating every 3-4 hours, but not today!

Breakfast - eggs and homefries; chocolate chip pancake; chocolate soy milk; cranberry juice
Snack - a few pieces of Aussie-style strawberry licorice
Dinner - "chicken" patty on a sandwich thin; rest of my homefries; broccoli

No comments: