Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How much?!?!

Today I got two quotes for some kitchen improvements. The first was to reface the cabinets and replace the countertops... all for just $10,000. What?? I could get a brand new IKEA kitchen (including appliances!) for that. The second was to paint the walls and cabinets and replace the hardware... for a much better cost (less than a tenth of the first quote). Since I painted the cabinets in our family room I know what a pain it is... very labor intensive. It will be nice to have someone else do the work this time around. My dad also volunteered to help me demo the backsplash and put up beadboard. (Remember that dad?) :)  With those things done, and an eventual countertop replacement it will be a brand new space! Here is the before (ick):


The top cabinets will be painted white and the bottom with be Martha Stewart's "Mourning Dove." The walls will be her "Fledgling". I think we'll wait until I go back to school so I'm away from the fumes. Speaking of paint, I am really loving the new white doors upstairs. The process is slow going and I'm trying to take breaks after every four coats or so. JA keeps reminding me to take care of the baby! I'm using Freshaire which is safe for pregnant women and won't off-gas into our home (so Baby A will be safe upon his arrival). I'm so excited that the nursery doors aren't blue anymore! :)

Breakfast - bowl of organic honey nut cereal with low fat milk
Snack - Kashi granola bar
Lunch - Amy's vegan burrito
Snack - Terra chips; organic pear
Dinner - salad (romaine, grape tomatoes, cucumbers, chick peas, nuts, honey mustard dressing)
Dessert - probiotic La Yogurt

No comments: