Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nuchal Translucency Screening

Being pregnant certainly improves my vocabulary. Today I had to prick my finger for the bloodwork portion of the nuchal translucency screening. Basically it's a first trimester test that screens for disorders like Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18. The results are about 93% accurate when combined with an ultrasound (which I will go for on July 27th). Pricking my finger gave me a much greater appreciation for my poor dad who tests his blood sugar for his diabetes. My poor little finger! Here's what my test looked like... my aim was not so good, but it's hard to control a drop of blood, especially on your less-dominant hand. They only included boring bandaids in the kit, so I had to improvise. The phlebotomist at the lab usually gives me Garfield ones. :)

 

Breakfast - Kashi Go Lean Crunch, Greek blueberry yogurt
Lunch - summer salad (mixed greens, strawberries, raisins, and walnuts); baked potato
Snack - cheese, lettuce, and tomato on a whole wheat everything bagel (OK, that's more like lunch #2, but I was driving past my favorite bagel shop and had to stop)
Dinner - nachos (met Nicole and Amy for dinner at Tashmoo!)

No comments: