Monday, June 14, 2010

I Heart Books

As a teacher, I am all about books. So I obviously headed over to a nearby bookstore as soon as we found out we are expecting and combed the shelves for some good pregnancy books. Holy crow was there a huge selection! Surprisingly, I did not purchase What To Expect When You're Expecting. I heard it focused too much on all the things that can go wrong, and that's not my style. I did pick up three and are mostly enjoying them, to varying degrees. My friend Alice also sent me the fourth one, along with her pregnancy pilates videos. So sweet!





So I am obviously keeping busy and trying to read as much information as I can. I read a selection of the first book aloud to John each night. It documents what's happening with the baby each day. For example, today's section told us the baby's arms are looking less like flippers and more like paddles. Ha! Finally, I signed up for this website which sends me weekly updates. Here's what they had to say about six weeks. (Oh, and I am still taking belly pics each week, but haven't gotten around to posting them. Once school is out next week, I think I'll have more time.


This week's major developments: The nose, mouth, and ears that you'll spend so much time kissing in eight months are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his arms and legs by protruding buds. His heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his body. His intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his lungs has appeared. His pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil.
So that's what new with Baby A. Today's food journal isn't stellar... oops! I vow to do better tomorrow. I'm also still walking like a 90-year-old woman, though I can lie down and sit without pain.

Breakfast - egg and cheese on a croissant
Snack - Greek strawberry yogurt tortilla chips and guacamole (the yogurt tasted bad so I tossed it!)
Lunch - spaghetti with broccoli, snap peas, and peas; red grapes; chocolate pudding
Snack - nachos (consider it a pizza substitute - never met a cheese/bread product I didn't love)
Dinner - grilled veggie wrap (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers); half a baked potato

No comments: